By Dan Maoz
Winner of the yank Astronomical Society's Chambliss Award, Astrophysics in a Nutshell has turn into the textual content of selection in astrophysics classes for technology majors at most sensible universities in North the US and past. during this extended and entirely up to date moment variation, the booklet will get even larger, with a brand new bankruptcy on extrasolar planets; a enormously extended bankruptcy at the interstellar medium; totally up to date evidence and figures on all topics, from the saw homes of white dwarfs to the newest effects from precision cosmology; and extra instructive challenge units. all through, the textual content positive aspects an identical targeted, concise variety and emphasis on physics instinct that experience made the publication a favourite of scholars and teachers.
Written by way of Dan Maoz, a number one lively researcher, and designed for complicated undergraduate technology majors, Astrophysics in a Nutshell is a quick yet thorough creation to the observational information and theoretical innovations underlying glossy astronomy. Generously illustrated, it covers the necessities of recent astrophysics, emphasizing the typical actual rules that govern astronomical phenomena, and the interaction among thought and remark, whereas additionally introducing matters on the vanguard of recent learn, together with black holes, darkish topic, darkish strength, and gravitational lensing.
In addition to serving as a path textbook, Astrophysics in a Nutshell is a perfect assessment for a qualifying examination and a convenient reference for academics and researchers.
- The so much concise and present astrophysics textbook for technology majors—now increased and entirely up to date with the most recent learn results
- Contains a vast and well-balanced number of conventional and present topics
- Uses uncomplicated, brief, and transparent derivations of actual results
- Trains scholars within the crucial talents of order-of-magnitude analysis
- Features a brand new bankruptcy on extrasolar planets, together with discovery techniques
- Includes new and improved sections and difficulties at the physics of shocks, supernova remnants, cosmic-ray acceleration, white dwarf houses, baryon acoustic oscillations, and more
- Contains instructive challenge units on the finish of every chapter
- Solutions handbook (available simply to professors)
Read or Download Astrophysics in a Nutshell: Second Edition PDF
Best general physics books
Dieses Lehrbuch vermittelt in drei Bänden den Stoff der ersten vier Semester des Bachelor- bzw Master-Studienganges. Die sonst im Allgemeinen übliche getrennte Darstellung von experimenteller und theorethischer Physik ist zu Gunsten einer integrierten Behandlung aufgehoben. Die Vorteile liegen auf der Hand: Der Studierende wird in die Lage versetzt, anhand von Experimenten erworbene Kenntnisse auch gleich in einer quantitativen Formulierung verstehen zu lernen.
This ebook includes an creation to the idea of the vulnerable interplay of hassle-free debris. the writer outlines the present state of affairs in vulnerable interplay thought and discusses the customers for the arrival decade. The reader is familiarized with uncomplicated theoretical strategies for the calculation of deterioration charges, interplay cross-sections and angular and spin correlations.
Encompasses the Lectured Works of a popular specialist within the FieldPlasma Physics: An creation is predicated on a sequence of college direction lectures by way of a number one identify within the box, and carefully covers the physics of the fourth country of topic. This booklet seems at non-relativistic, totally ionized, nondegenerate, quasi-neutral, and weakly coupled plasma.
GaAs processing has reached a mature degree. New semiconductor compounds are rising that would dominate destiny fabrics and equipment learn, even if the processing concepts used for GaAs will nonetheless stay appropriate. This booklet covers all facets of the present cutting-edge of III–V processing, with emphasis on HBTs.
- Handbook of Adhesives and Surface Preparation: Technology, Applications and Manufacturing (Plastics Design Library)
- Advances in Thin-Film Solar Cells
- Metal-Insulator Transitions Revisited
Additional info for Astrophysics in a Nutshell: Second Edition
Astrophysics in a Nutshell: Second Edition by Dan Maoz